Peter Armstrong
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

RAISE YOUR ANCHOR!

Post by Peter Armstrong » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:11 am

ANCHORING

VRC documentation states:-
Anchors
An anchor is a measurement of an aircraft's distance, heading and time to a particular airport, Navaid or fixed point on the scope. Anchors are similar to the Ruler line tool, but they persist on the scope, are automatically updated as the aircraft moves, and must be manually cleared. There can only be one anchor per aircraft.
When you set an anchor, the calculated heading, distance and time for the anchor is shown below the aircraft's data block. Optionally, a line is drawn from the aircraft to the point where it is anchored.
To set an anchor, make sure you have the aircraft selected, then type .an FIX followed by the ASEL key. For example, to anchor an aircraft on KSEA, type .an KSEA followed by ASEL. In this case, the text "KSEA" will be shown along with the anchor data.
Another way to set an anchor is with the mouse shortcut. With the aircraft selected, hold the Shift key and right-click on the spot where you wish to anchor the aircraft. Or, right click data block, choose Set Anchor and type in the anchor POINT of your choosing.
To clear an anchor, either type .an followed by ASEL (with the aircraft selected) or type .noanchors which will clear all anchors for all aircraft. Or, right click data block, choose Clear Anchor from drop down menu.

What can an ANCHOR be utilised for?
I use ANCHORS for the following:-
Departures*Example:- A/C departing 16L for first fix NORMY. I fix the ANCHOR on NORMY and the anchor data shows HDG (approx.) 075 degs when the A/C is sitting on the threshold. By the time the A/C is airborne and crossed the end of the runway the HDG has changed to about 071 degs. I then give the *instruction “Radar contact, 1 mile south of KSEA through 1700, climb and maintain 15000, fly HDG 065 direct NORMY”
By the time the pilot has received this message, made adjustments in his cockpit and replied to the message, the A/C has travelled further South and the Anchor HDG reading is approx. 069 degs (travelling in an anti-clockwise direction). The pilot makes the turn and the Anchor HDG reading should show approx. 065 degs or thereabouts. If your estimate is wrong by a certain margin, I then correct by sending the following message “Adjust HDG xxx”.
Arrivals – Example:- (this is my method and not probably used by other controllers). A/C arriving on the CHINS STAR. I anchor the A/C on RADDY. This anchor information now tells me not only how far the A/C is from Raddy but, also indicates how much time it will take the A/C to reach Raddy at current speed indicated. When the A/C is a suitable – contactable – distance from Raddy I send the usual “contact me” via the VRC “Send contact me” facility. This is interesting and facilitates your very own “point-out” when busy handling other A/C. The Anchor now serves me as a reminder of when it is suitable to move from handling other traffic to now giving this A/C attention at a meaningful time. As a side issue to this I then “radar contact” this A/C and reset the Anchor to AUBRN. This again reminds me when I should issue my next instruction to this A/C (“depart AUBRN HDG XXX and D/M xxxx”). Which then gives way to another prospect of using the Anchor?
PTAC Example – We all use the PTAC when placing an A/C onto the ILS (say 16C). Well, after AUBRN I reset the Anchor to ANVIL, and when the A/C is abeam ANVIL (the Anchor HDG will read 250 degs). I then send the message “Turn left HDG 250degs, vector for final approach”. Now I utilise both my Anchor and the “Leader Line” of the A/C (which is pre-set to 3 miles) to determine when I should issue my PTAC. For my “average” target A/C I can safely issue the PTAC when either the Leader Line is touching the extended “runway Centreline or, when my Anchor HDG reading is approx. 210 degs to ANVIL. The PTAC tells the pilot to turn to HDG 190 degs for the ILS intercept at 3200 for ANVIL.
More to follow………………………………………
Happy controlling/flying :beer:
Valor Morghulis
Valor Dohaeris
Caveat Lector

Dylan Lundberg
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

Re: RAISE YOUR ANCHOR!

Post by Dylan Lundberg » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:41 pm

Anchors are nice! I use them on the enroute level to ensure separation! Example: Using an anchor on two aircraft on the HAWKZ arrival to ensure they won't cross VASHN at the same time.) It helps!
--
Honolulu Control Facility - Air Traffic Manager

Dylan Lundberg
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

Post by Dylan Lundberg » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:49 pm

Anchors are nice! I use them on the enroute level to ensure separation! Example: Using an anchor on two aircraft on the HAWKZ arrival to ensure they won't cross VASHN at the same time.) It helps!
--
Honolulu Control Facility - Air Traffic Manager

Peter Armstrong
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

Post by Peter Armstrong » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:29 am

I also use the Separation Link in the same example "shift-alt"
Happy controlling/flying :beer:
Valor Morghulis
Valor Dohaeris
Caveat Lector