TeamSpeak or Discord?

General conversation

Moderator: ZSE Administrative Staff

Would you prefer ZSE's primary communication platform to be on Discord or TeamSpeak?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:31 am

TeamSpeak
18%
Discord
82%

Total votes: 28

Aaron Schwartz
ZSE Air Traffic Manager
ZSE Air Traffic Manager

TeamSpeak or Discord?

Post by Aaron Schwartz » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:31 am

With many online communities shifting over to Discord, I wanted to open a poll for the ARTCC to gain a perspective of what the ARTCC generally prefers. This poll will not dictate whether or not we will move to discord, it is merely aimed to gain insight. Feel free to share any thoughts here as well. The poll will remain open for one week.
Aaron Schwartz
Air Traffic Manager, I1
VATUSA Seattle ARTCC

Matthew Woerly
ZSE Training Administrator
ZSE Training Administrator

Re: TeamSpeak or Discord?

Post by Matthew Woerly » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:50 am

Can we be more specific about "communication"? I think Discord has features that make it a good place to hang out and communicate in general, but Teamspeak may be more suited for the ease of handling multiple voice channels and servers when necessary.

Nathaniel Ayash

Post by Nathaniel Ayash » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:08 pm

Aaron Schwartz wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:31 am
With many online communities shifting over to Discord, I wanted to open a poll for the ARTCC to gain a perspective of what the ARTCC generally prefers. This poll will not dictate whether or not we will move to discord, it is merely aimed to gain insight. Feel free to share any thoughts here as well. The poll will remain open for one week.
I think that discord is amazing for keeping up with announcements and general communication through text without having to be connected to voice. But mainly training will be way easier being able to screen share. That is a game changer right there.

Aaron Schwartz
ZSE Air Traffic Manager
ZSE Air Traffic Manager

Post by Aaron Schwartz » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:22 pm

Matthew Woerly wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:50 am
Can we be more specific about "communication"?
Basically, we could end up moving from TS to discord with regards to all ARTCC functions if there is interest and practicality.
Aaron Schwartz
Air Traffic Manager, I1
VATUSA Seattle ARTCC

Vishaank Ghai
ZSE Mentor
ZSE Mentor

Post by Vishaank Ghai » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:23 pm

Like Matt said - Discord is great for communication and social conversations component. However, I still find value in TS being used for controller coordination when it comes to events and stuff. That experience is different in itself, I would really like both to be utilized to be very honest. I think Discord utilization can drastically increase our communications efforts within the ARTCC (across all levels) - say it be events, briefs, ARTCC updates, etc.. but we can still maintain that controlling experience through TS.

Just my 2 cents :)

Jarid Masiel

Post by Jarid Masiel » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:27 pm

Nathaniel Ayash wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:08 pm
I think that discord is amazing for keeping up with announcements and general communication through text without having to be connected to voice. But mainly training will be way easier being able to screen share. That is a game changer right there.
I like this statement. I also think that being able to screen share is a big deal for the training department. Sessions will be more efficient and we won't need to download additional software! We can do this all on one platform!
Matthew Woerly wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:50 am
Can we be more specific about "communication"? I think Discord has features that make it a good place to hang out and communicate in general, but Teamspeak may be more suited for the ease of handling multiple voice channels and servers when necessary.
Discord is good for communication in general. Sometimes emailing people isn't enough. For me, I check my ZSE email regularly, but email in general is slower than just @ing someone on Discord or sending them a PM. We don't have to be connected to a voice channel in order to communicate in a quick manner. That being said, I don't find myself needing to go into another ARTCC's discord server, unless it's during an event, and even then, you'd be controlling center if you had to do that and you could simply talk to them through your controller client anyway. While this is one isolated, barely applicable disadvantage, I feel the pros outweigh the cons here.

Eric Steiner

Post by Eric Steiner » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:05 pm

I think that is utilized properly, discord would be a great way to communicate. Discord seems to have a better voice capability as well as does not crash as much and there is hardly any voice cutouts, especially for those of us on crappy internet. IMO discord is the better move. and its FREE!

Jack Barton

Post by Jack Barton » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:06 pm

I would favor TS, but am fairly impartial. Discord certainly has plenty of great features, however I find it can get very off-topic very quick.

Daniel Grammer

Post by Daniel Grammer » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:50 am

Ok, the "old" guy here, and I gotta say I am impressed with the training enhancements associated with discord. I even hope to use it to learn vStars and train on approach. THAT SAID......
I just discovered that there were 50 (fifty) messages since yesterday afternoon in the "off-topic" area. Oh my but I am way behind. WELL it was like I had gone to face book rather than the unofficial vZSE. Turned out to be a waste of my time catching up. The texting had absolutely nothing to do with ZSE and controlling.
I am glad I came onboard with discord because of the training and sharing capabilities when needed but I am not going to be spending an hour a day (slow reader - yes) reliving arguments other people are having.
My vote is teach me how to use discord productively like I use TS3 and have related folders for business and I will be glad to use it when applicable to the situation. Currently I love TS3 even though it also gets out of hand sometimes but at least if controlling we can get out of the lobby and do coordination in our respective facilities.
We are going through some growing pains here is what I think. Controlling = TS3 Triaining = discord.
I love the screen sharing and witnessed it yesterday. FANTASTIC

Aaron Schwartz
ZSE Air Traffic Manager
ZSE Air Traffic Manager

Post by Aaron Schwartz » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:29 am

Daniel Grammer wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:50 am
My vote is teach me how to use discord productively like I use TS3 and have related folders for business and I will be glad to use it when applicable to the situation. Currently I love TS3 even though it also gets out of hand sometimes but at least if controlling we can get out of the lobby and do coordination in our respective facilities.
The official ZSE Discord would be maintained by staff, and the code of conduct would be enforced. Also, we would plan to release a video tutorial of discord for all those unfamiliar with it if we choose to transition.
Aaron Schwartz
Air Traffic Manager, I1
VATUSA Seattle ARTCC