Questions, comments, stories from our ZSE regulars

Moderator:ZSE Administrative Staff

Peter Armstrong
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller
ME-TO-YOU

Post by Peter Armstrong » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:46 am

ME-TO-YOU

I am a great believer in massing information which may or may not help me in my virtual controlling experience. With that in mind, it also reminds me that whilst flying, I also enjoyed massing information from ATC, which I believe made me understand and enjoy the flying experience. So, with that in mind, I want to give my pilots some little “tit bits” that may help you enjoy your flying experience under (my) ATC control. It is a known fact that if a pilot can anticipate or indeed understand the reasoning behind an ATC instruction, then the experience is good for all concerned. Bear in mind also, that it is safe to assume, other Controllers may or may not control in the same manner that I do.

• Whilst flying IFR on an anticipated ILS approach, some pilots contact me when they seem that the downwind leg is longer than they anticipated. Rest assured that I always attempt to put the plane on the closest fix (not the FAF) on the Localiser, to the airport, bearing in mind the height, speed and distance from the runway centreline the A/C is. I do this in a precise manner – when the A/C is “abeam” the Fix (the right or left wingtip is actually pointing at the Fix – more often than enough it can be ANVIL on the RWY ILS 16C approach), I then give the instruction – “Turn Right HDG 070, vectors for final approach or Turn left HDG 250, vectors for final approach”. That then gives the pilot enough time to turn base and ready him/herself for the PTAC that follows. The PTAC is another story…………………………..more to come!
Happy controlling/flying :beer:
Valor Morghulis
Valor Dohaeris
Caveat Lector

Peter Armstrong
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

Re: ME-TO-YOU

Post by Peter Armstrong » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:39 am

PTAC

PTAC = P position (x miles from?), T Turn X degs, A Altitude to maintain, C Clearance (clrd ILS RWY 16C approach)

Full Example = “5 miles from Anvil, fly HDG 130, maintain 3000 until established on the Localiser, clrd ILS RWY 16C approach”

When to expect the PTAC ?= whilst on Base Leg heading approximately 070 degs or 250degs in the case of RWY 16C at KSEA. I usually give the PTAC when the A/C is about 3 to 5 miles from the runway centreline depending on following: - Pilot experience (local knowledge), height, speed, type of A/C
Valor Morghulis
Valor Dohaeris
Caveat Lector

Peter Armstrong
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

Post by Peter Armstrong » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:51 am

DEPARTURES FROM KSEA - IFR

Some pilots, after receiving their clearance, take off and radar contact, then proceed to switch from the SEA_APP frequency and go to Unicomm without being prompted by the SEA_APP Controller (who is also acting as SEA_DEP). This does not happen very often but, it does happen sometimes.

To ensure separation from other traffic in the TRACON and ensuring a smooth transition, you should remain with the SEA_APP controller until either:-
1. The climb is reaching 15000, or
2. The lateral distance from KSEA takes you out of the TRACON, or
3. The SEA_APP controller hands you off to either CTR or Unicomm due to either 1 or 2 taking effect.
In any case, the SEA_APP controller (that’s me!) will hand you off to CTR – if there is a CTR on board or, hand you off to Unicomm prior to reaching 15000 (or cruise if lower) and/or prior to leaving the lateral distance of the TRACON from KSEA, whichever is the case. Until any of that happens, you should remain with the SEA_APP controller.

The total departure experience should follow this example:-
• Clearance
• Taxi
• Clrd for take off
• Radar Contact
• Remain with SEA_APP until handed off to either CTR or Unicomm.
Just for interest, the TRACON (SEA_APP) Jurisdiction extends vertically from the surface to 15000ft and latterly about 38 miles from KSEA (depending on direction of departure) and, SEA_APP has control of what are known as “Shelves” that incorporate arrivals/deps from KPAE (North) and KOLM (South)

I usually transmit this message via radio-text “*NOTAM* SEA_APP is open and serving KSEA-KBFI-KRNT-KPAE-KTIW-KTCM-KOLM (DEL/GND/TWR/DEP/APP)”, if I am the only controller on board in the Tracon. I mention this because some pilots attempt departure from the satellite airports without knowing that these airports are controlled.
Valor Morghulis
Valor Dohaeris
Caveat Lector

Peter Armstrong
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

Post by Peter Armstrong » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:19 am

ARRIVALS – KSEA and/or SATELLITE AIRPORTS IN THE TRACON

Sometimes, an A/C will approach the Tracon at a height of 35000/450k, heading for KSEA or an airport within the Tracon. This then requires vectoring – within the Tracon - for descent and speed reduction prior to being placed on Downwind/Base Leg and PTAC.

As such, I always try to contact my pilots about 32 miles out from the Entry Point into the Tracon in order to gently remind them of what to expect.

I deliver one of these messages:-

JETS
• Squawk ----, Cross Raddy at or above 16000/270k altimeter
• Squawk ----, Cross Skyko at 10000 altimeter
• Squawk ----, Cross Jaksn at 12000/250k altimeter
• Squawk ----, Cross Hawkz at or above 12000/270k altimeter
• Squawk ----, Cross Jawbn at 12000/250k altimeter
• Squawk ----, Cross MARNR at or above 12000/270k altimeter
• Squawk ----, Cross OLM at or above 17000/270k altimeter
PROPS

• Squawk ----, Cross Raddy at 10000/250k altimeter
• Squawk ----, Cross Skyko at 10000 altimeter
• Squawk ----, Cross Jaksn at 10000/250k altimeter
• Squawk ----, Cross Hawkz at or above 12000/270k altimeter
• Squawk ----, Cross Jawbn at 10000/250k altimeter
• Squawk ----, Cross MARNR at or above 12000/270k altimeter
• Squawk ----, Cross OLM at 12000/250k altimeter

Blue skies
Valor Morghulis
Valor Dohaeris
Caveat Lector

Peter Armstrong
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

Post by Peter Armstrong » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:52 am

WHAT TO EXPECT IN THE SEA TRACON – ARRIVALS

Knowledge is useful. IFR A/C can expect “Entry Points” into the SEA Tracon as follows:- Refer to previous posting with respect to heights/speed restrictions.

I usually follow the STAR directions but, for expediency I sometimes deviate as described below:-

SOUTH OPS – LANDING ON THE 16S – usually 16C ILS Approach
EAST – CHINS STAR – RADDY – HUMPP – AUBRN at 5000 – depart AUBRN HDG 345, then D/M 4200, expecting ILS 16C at ANVIL
N/E – GLASR STAR – JAKSN – WOODI at 9000, depart WOODI HDG 260 then down to 5000 for 16C at ERYKA
N/E – EPHRATA STAR – SKYKO – HUVUS – depart HUVUS HDG 245, then D/M 5000 for 16C at ERYKA
N/W – MARNR STAR (RNAV) – GRIFY at 6000, clrd ILS RWY 16C approach
N/W – JAWBN STAR – DIGGN, depart DIGGN HDG 095, then D/M 5000 for 16C at ERYKA
SOUTH – HAWKZ STAR – VASHN at 6000, depart VASHN HDG 340 then D/M 3200 for 16C at ANVIL
SOUTH – OLM STAR – FOURT, depart FOURT HDG 340, then D/M 5000 for 16C at ANVIL

The A/C are separated as follows:- Entries from the North are placed on the ILS FIX close as possible to their entry point = ERYKA at 5000 and entries from East and South are placed on ANVIL at 3200. By directing A/C off their STARS at WOODI, HUVUS and DIGGN this then resolves any expected conflicts that may arise from EAST/SOUTH arrivals and departures.
Valor Morghulis
Valor Dohaeris
Caveat Lector

Peter Armstrong
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

Post by Peter Armstrong » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:56 am

MISCELLANEOUS
VISUAL APPROACHES INTO KSEA

I think, for a Visual Approach to be successful, it needs to be anchored onto something tangible. If an A/C arrives into the Tracon and I am busy, I will ask the pilot if they can accept a vectored visual approach. I find this most successful if I vector the A/C towards a Fix on the ILS System. Example being, for RWY 16C I will Anchor the A/C onto ANVIL and give the pilot headings to that Fix and a decent descent profile so that the A/C arrives at Anvil (about 5/6 miles from that Fix) at or above 3200 and at an angle so that the pilot can report the field in site at a height that is below the ceiling but consistent with the entry to the Localiser. Anvil is close enough to the Airport for a good positive “field in site” report from the pilot.
Valor Morghulis
Valor Dohaeris
Caveat Lector