How To Use the Scheduler

Ask questions of the training staff and fellow controllers. Also training FAQs

Moderator: ZSE Administrative Staff

Blake Nahin
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

How To Use the Scheduler

Post by Blake Nahin » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:07 pm

All online reservations/requests are done from the Scheduler.

Watch the video on how to request training here: https://youtu.be/WB5a-gtYidk

Requesting Training
All times are in your local time set in your profile
  1. Under the Reservation Details section, select the type of reservation. Reserving a position books the time slot for you to control.
  2. Choose the position group in which the position you are reserving resides. NOTE: Only groups in which you are allowed to train on will be displayed.
  3. Choose the position and optionally add comments.
  4. Now, go down to the schedule. If you would like to request for the same day, turn on Show Past.
  5. Click the starting time block. The block will turn into a lightning symbol to signify that it is sending, and then a green check mark. NOTE: if you are unable to select a time block, insufficient data from Reservation Details was entered.
  6. Click the ending time block. All time in between will be automatically selected.
  7. The reservation has been successfully submitted. A refresh is needed if you would like to delete a reservation.
Requesting Training - Simple Method **NEW!**
  • Choose the type of reservation, position group, and position.
  • Select the date in which you are requesting training. You can only select up to two weeks in advance.
  • Select the start times and end times.
  • [Optional] Add comments. Must be less than 100 characters.
  • Click Submit. If successful, the request block is added to the calendar.
Both methods above also apply to position reservations.

Scheduler Restrictions
  • Only 2 weeks in advance.
  • Training request blocks limited to 6 hours.
  • Training requests limited to 8 hours per day.
  • Total training requests active are now limited to 8.
  • Duration must be an hour or longer.
  • "Show Past" has been changed to "Timeframe", either All days or Allowable days (to add reservations). This shows only the next 2 weeks.
Booking Training via Instructor/Mentor Availability
  • On the My Schedule page, a new option to the right of "Timeframe" has been added to show/hide INS/MTR Availability. Turn the switch to Yes.
  • Availability from all mentors and instructors are now displayed. Note: only this type will be displayed in this mode.
  • The blocks are labeled with the INS/MTR initials. Hover over the block to see their full name.
  • To begin the process of "Picking up" a session from availability, click on the desired availability block.
  • Adjust the time interval using the sliders.
  • Select the position that is requested to be trained on. Important Note: Only positions that the INS/MTR is allowed to instruct on, and positions that the student can train on will be displayed.
  • Add comments that will be included in the email to both parties.
  • Click "Pick Up". The training session is now booked, and can be handled like a normal session. Both parties will receive an email. The session may be deleted normally through the scheduler.
Deleting a Request/Reservation
  • Turn on Delete mode. (Click the "Mode" switch to change from Add to Delete)
  • Select all desired reservation blocks. If you are deleting a confirmed training session, both parties will receive an email.
Last edited by Blake Nahin on Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blake Nahin
Seattle ARTCC
Webmaster, Mentor

Dennis Eining

Re: How To Use the Scheduler

Post by Dennis Eining » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:45 pm

I tried to use your "New" method, when I clicked yes there were no Mentors or Instructors for the whole month. So what do you do then?

Aaron Schwartz
ZSE Air Traffic Manager
ZSE Air Traffic Manager

Post by Aaron Schwartz » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:27 pm

Dennis Eining wrote:I tried to use your "New" method, when I clicked yes there were no Mentors or Instructors for the whole month. So what do you do then?
When the training staff does not post their availability, that is when you may request training (you can request training at any time, even if the training staff posts their availability). The training staff will then accept any training request you submit when they are available also. But keep in mind Mentors and Instructors will not always be able to accept your training requests, so patience is key.
Requesting Training
1.Under the Reservation Details section, select the type of reservation. Reserving a position books the time slot for you to control.
2.Choose the position group in which the position you are reserving resides. NOTE: Only groups in which you are allowed to train on will be displayed.
3.Choose the position and optionally add comments.

4.Now, go down to the schedule. If you would like to request for the same day, turn on Show Past.
5.Click the starting time block. The block will turn into a lightning symbol to signify that it is sending, and then a green check mark. NOTE: if you are unable to select a time block, insufficient data from Reservation Details was entered.
6.Click the ending time block. All time in between will be automatically selected.
7.The reservation has been successfully submitted. A refresh is needed if you would like to delete a reservation.
Aaron Schwartz
Air Traffic Manager, I1
VATUSA Seattle ARTCC

Blake Nahin
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

Post by Blake Nahin » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:33 pm

Adding onto Aaron's reply,

This new mode only displays posted availability by instructors or mentors. If nothing is displayed once the mode is turned on, then no instructors or mentors have posted their availability, so you must use the normal "Request Training" method.
Blake Nahin
Seattle ARTCC
Webmaster, Mentor

Dennis Eining

Post by Dennis Eining » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:12 pm

Thank You both, Aaron and Blake, for your help I was able last night two schedule two time slots. The first one came and went and the second one looks like there will be no response. I guess we are just short on trainers. But I will keep trying.

Take Care,

Dennis