Ask questions of the training staff and fellow controllers. Also training FAQs

Moderator: ZSE Administrative Staff

Peter Armstrong
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

SHARING CONTROLLING TECHNIQUES - 4

Post by Peter Armstrong » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:00 am

CAUTION - CONFLICTS!!!!

When busy, I sometimes have to be reminded about conflicts between Arrivals and Departures. For example, conflicts can occur between:-
OLIMPIA + HAWKZ v HAROB +BANGR + ELMA
CHINS v MOUNTAIN
JAWBN v BANGR +HAROB + KSATS
MARNR v KMORE
GLASR + EPHAT v MOUNTAIN
GLASR +EPHAT + CHINS v SUMMA

And, yet to be analysed - the ATOME1

I have studied these possible conflicts and printed out an A4 sheet showing the positions and heights that could cause conflicts on all the above observations. Obviously, I have procedures in place to restrict climbs/descents accordingly.

Be alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :teach:
Happy controlling/flying :beer:
Valor Morghulis
Valor Dohaeris
Caveat Lector

Frank Miller
ZSE Training Administrator
ZSE Training Administrator

Re: SHARING CONTROLLING TECHNIQUES - 4

Post by Frank Miller » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:47 am

For what it is worth, my own technique for these is as follows (NB, these are all South ops.....conflicts are different on North ops but techniques are similar, just inverted!):

1. For the OLM/HAWKZ vs. HAROB/BANGR/ELMAA conflict:

(a) restrict climb for departure to 5000 until under the arrival path (which crosses VASHN at 6000; you should descend an arrival on the OLM to 6000 until abeam KSEA)

or

(b) keep the departure on a hdg of somewhere from 160 (rwy hdg) to approx. 190 until the arrival conflict is abeam, then instruct the departure to turn right, proceed direct HAROB/TOMRE or BANGR/ELMAA and resume the arrival except climb and maintain 15,000.

2. For the CHINS vs. MONTN conflict, this is a bit more complicated due to rising terrain east of KSEA:

(a) keep the arrivals at 10,000 after AUBRN to allow for departures to climb to 9000 and make the turn east on course to initial fix; once departure is east of the arrival flow, allow climb to 15,000; arrivals can descend below 10,000 after abeam KSE

or

(b) keep the departure on runway heading, climb to 9000 or 11,000 and turn east to vector under the arrival path at (or south of) AUBRN to ensure the departure passes underneath the 12,000 AUBRN crossing altitude.

To me the challenge is maintain positive separation and not trying to "thread the needle" by having the departure climbing through the arrivals while passing in between aircraft. Absent visual separation, I don't think that is kosher! More than happy to be corrected about that, however.

Frank

Peter Armstrong
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

Re: SHARING CONTROLLING TECHNIQUES - 4

Post by Peter Armstrong » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:00 am

Fantastic Frank - looks like we are working from the same song sheet!

I do have very detailed notes alongside my conflicts of interest, which compare favourably with yours.

This is great to discuss between ourselves the differences/similarities that we have as controllers. I lean towards keeping my deps low or vectored and let the STAR arrivals descend in accordance with the charts (but always reminding the arrivals of descent restrictions)

Peter
Happy controlling/flying :beer:
Valor Morghulis
Valor Dohaeris
Caveat Lector