Moderator: ZSE Administrative Staff

Peter Armstrong
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

DEPARTURES AND AIRWAYS

Post by Peter Armstrong » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:22 am

DEPARTURES AND AIRWAYS

When departing A/C on RNAV SIDs, it’s simple “climb via the SID etc.,”

And when radar vector SID is utilised, it’s fairly simple too.

However, when the first departure point is to join an Airway, that procedure is somewhat less than simple and not mentioned too much in our training.

However, my INS advised I do the following:-

Determine the heading/direction of the Airway (from SEA VOR) Example = V298 Eastwards at hdg 087. When the A/C is radar contacted following departure, turn the A/C onto a parallel course to the respective Airway = for V298 is 090. Then when settled on the HDG of 090, give the joining turn of 060 to join the Airway or, 120 if off the 34s.

That’s good for the Victor Airways however, the Jet Airways need the same treatment except, do not give the joining turn to join the Airway until about 12000ft. This gives the A/C a positive reaction to the intercept with greater accuracy with the height relationship. Coincidently, this will trigger the handoff to CTR/Unicomm.

Well, that’s what my INS taught me

Have fun

Ps. I now have an A4 size sheet showing ALL Airways leaving KSEA, their HDGS and instructions to parallel and then join them.
Happy controlling/flying :beer:
Valor Morghulis
Valor Dohaeris
Caveat Lector

Frank Miller
ZSE Training Administrator
ZSE Training Administrator

Re: DEPARTURES AND AIRWAYS

Post by Frank Miller » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:54 am

Another way is to select a fix or other navaid on the airway with a reasonable intercept angle (technically I think you only need 90 degrees or less!) and give the a/c "proceed direct [fix], join [airway]". Saves time on vectoring and allows the pilot to remain on autopilot and navigate direct to a fix and then rejoin his flight plan. Also allows you to instruct the a/c to climb to reach the MEA for the airway by the fix assigned, ensuring they are actually on the airway rather than below it (you could instruct them to "join J189 at or above [alt]" as well, though that is not quite as helpful for the pilot as giving them a fix to climb to).

Also, a pedantic point---I believe you "join" routes (Victor airways and jet routes), and "intercept" radials, courses, localisers (other than when joining to assist on a visual approach or before being cleared for the approach).

Frank

Peter Armstrong
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

Re: DEPARTURES AND AIRWAYS

Post by Peter Armstrong » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:49 am

That is a very good way to join an airway, I might try that and see what happens. I suppose any way that is simple and effective to achieve the end result. Like I said in my post, I employ my method for two reasons:- 1. It gets the A/C parallel with the respective airway which then allows for a smooth (no greater than 30 degs joining angle – like the PTAC) and, 2. For a JET airway I give them the join and switch to CTR/UNICOMM at the same time = either just before Tracon boundary or at about 12000 whichever comes first (12000 gives them a continuous climb to the Tracon vertical boundary of 15000) and allows for CTR to take the handoff and continue the smooth climb to cruise level, without levelling out.

Peter

Also, we both agree - we "join" airways
Happy controlling/flying :beer:
Valor Morghulis
Valor Dohaeris
Caveat Lector