Ask questions of the training staff and fellow controllers. Also training FAQs

Moderator: ZSE Administrative Staff

Peter Armstrong
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

PAINE (PAE) AND OLYMPIA (OLM) APPROACH SHELVES

Post by Peter Armstrong » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:03 am

When controlling SEA_APP I treat the above subject Shelves as follows:

IFR A/C departing South and cruise alt above 15000 From KPAE – I hold on to these and treat them the same as departures from KSEA, departing the Tracon at 15000 or close to the border(they are NOT in the SHELF)
. For a smooth transition from climb to cruise, I usually handoff to CTR at about 12000 or within 5 miles of the Tracon Border (whichever comes first) or, to unicomm.

From KOLM – I hold on to these and hand them to CTR/Unicomm at about 6000 or close to the shelf border (for the same reasoning) (IN the SHELF) not above the 8999

IFR A/C departing North and cruise alt above 15000
From KPAE – I treat them the same as the above South bound from KOLM (IN the SHELF = not above 8999)

From KOLM – I treat then the same as the above South Bound from KPAE (they enter the TRACON)

I hope this makes sense?

Happy controlling :banjo:

Peter
Last edited by Peter Armstrong on Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy controlling/flying :beer:
Valor Morghulis
Valor Dohaeris
Caveat Lector

Austin Wilkins
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

Re: PAINE (PAE) AND OLYMPIA (OLM) APPROACH SHELVES

Post by Austin Wilkins » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:12 pm

The document referring to these shelves explicitly states that PAE and OLM are up to 8,999ft for APP. 9,000 and above are owned by center.

See the document under Major Approach. This is not new news. Aircraft from PAE should never be handed off that late. Please ensure proper procedure is being followed from now on. It will all make sense in practice.
Austin Wilkins | VATUSA13
Deputy Training Director | http://vatusa.net
VATSIM Network Supervisor | http://vatsim.net
Former: ZSE_TA, HCF_DATM

Danny Evans
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

Post by Danny Evans » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:16 pm

My opinion its better to give pilots a 5000ft buffer so ceiling of 15000ft I hand them over at 10,000 since it may take CTR a few second to accept, aircraft having to switch frequencies, and then aircraft climbing out fast that way they do not level at 15000 very long if at all. That gives pilots climbing at 5000fpm a minute and pilots climbing at 2500fpm 2 minutes to get over before having to level off.

Frank Miller
ZSE Training Administrator
ZSE Training Administrator

Post by Frank Miller » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:55 am

In fact, from real-world controllers, I understand it is not uncommon for Approach to hand off departures to Center even earlier than 10,000. Once a departure is in their climb, on course and free of conflict, it is acceptable to initiate the hand-off to Center. This can be as early as passing 3,000 or 4,000. Center need not accept the handoff until later, of course, and if they are busy they may wait until the a/c is through 10,000. This technique when applied to KOLM and KPAE is a good way to ensure control is with Center well before the aircraft leaves the S46 airspace at 9,000.

One thing that informed my thinking about the shelves is the reason they exist in the first place! So far as I understand it, they are there because the radar coverage from the S46 Tracon is poor for those areas (while Center has far better coverage). Once you appreciate that (and assuming you have the requisite degree of respect for VATSIM as a simulation) you can see how crucial it is to ensure you hand off soon enough. The converse holds for accepting handoffs from Center.

Frank

Austin Wilkins
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

Post by Austin Wilkins » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:23 pm

Frank,

You are correct. It is best practice to hand them off once they are climbing and not in conflict. It makes life on Center must easier, as I am sure you have experienced. It is up to the Center controller when to accept the handoff, but initiating that handoff as early as possible is what we should be doing, as pursuant to the real world.
Austin Wilkins | VATUSA13
Deputy Training Director | http://vatusa.net
VATSIM Network Supervisor | http://vatsim.net
Former: ZSE_TA, HCF_DATM