Ask questions of the training staff and fellow controllers. Also training FAQs

Moderator: ZSE Administrative Staff

Peter Armstrong
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

RUNWAYS AND BASE LEGS

Post by Peter Armstrong » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:05 am

RUNWAYS AND BASE LEGS

When controlling SEA_APP some A/C arrivals are destined for the Major Satellite airports such as, KTIW, KPAE, KTCM, KBFI, KOLN and KRNT.

If they require radar vectors for an ILS, I then have to look at my airport diagrams/charts to determine which Runways (not forgetting the wind!) and what are the Base Leg headings for these Runways. I always like to keep the approach smooth and gentle for the passengers LOL. :nyd: In which case, I am looking for turns onto reasonable Base Legs.

In my research, I have found that the Base Leg headings only slightly differ between all of these airports (050 – 080 and 230 – 260) so, I have decided – for expediency - to adapt a policy which provides me with a confident approach.

If I use the KSEA Base Legs (070degs and 250degs) for ALL of these satellite airports then I am happy that the approach is reasonably suitable for the appropriate PTAC to be delivered.

Happy controlling :lol:

Peter
Happy controlling/flying :beer:
Valor Morghulis
Valor Dohaeris
Caveat Lector

Frank Miller
ZSE Training Administrator
ZSE Training Administrator

Re: RUNWAYS AND BASE LEGS

Post by Frank Miller » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:46 am

For what it is worth, and depending on workload, I try to avoid giving vectors to final for the satellites. Ask the pilot for the approach he wants, pull up the plate, vector to allow an appropriate intercept to the IAF or IF, check they can descend to it, and clear them direct to the fix with the descent to cross it as per the plate. Clear them for the approach and ask them to report a 5 mile final so you can clear them to land or give them a switch to advisory for uncontrolled fields. When you get busy, let the pilot do the work for these airports----that's the beauty of an instrument approach. Vectors to final is a luxury not an entitlement!

Frank

Peter Armstrong
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

Re: RUNWAYS AND BASE LEGS

Post by Peter Armstrong » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:56 am

If they require radar vectors for an ILS
I agree Frank! I ask first, then give them the luxury of being flexible

Peter
Happy controlling/flying :beer:
Valor Morghulis
Valor Dohaeris