ONE A DAY

Ask questions of the training staff and fellow controllers. Also training FAQs

Moderator: ZSE Administrative Staff

Peter Armstrong
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

ONE A DAY

Post by Peter Armstrong » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:38 am

Alias Files – In this thread, I intend to release a Typical Alias [dot] command each day (ONE A DAY!)

.rcva Radar Contact,$dist($arr) miles $bear($arr) of $arr at $calt, expect vectors for the visual approach RWY $1, altimeter $altimeter($arr)

The above is a typical radar contact and informs the pilot to expect a visual approach.
The construction of the Alias above is described as follows:

.rcva is the [dot] command which can be anything that you want to use to identify the message in the Alias. I have used .rcva which identifies as a “ radar contact visual approach” solely for my own personal purpose – it can be replaced with something that you want to use for this purpose.
The $dist($arr) instructs the programme to detect and reveal the distance between a POINT (could be an airport, NDB, VOR or intersection (INT)) and the aircraft. In this instance it is the ($arr) arrival airport. The $bear($arr) instructs the programme to determine the direction between the aircraft and the POINT. Again, this is the ($arr) arrival airport. The $calt detects the current altitude of the aircraft. The $arr - on its own - confirms the identity of the POINT to be measured by the previous parameters distance $dist and bearing $bear. $1 should be replaced in the VCR Command Line with the runway to be used for the visual approach – like 16C. The $altimeter($arr) instructs the programme to automatically select the Altimeter setting for the $arr arrival airport.
The resulting message received by the pilot should look like this:

Radar Contact, 15 miles south of ksea at 13500, expect vectors for the visual approach RWY 16C, altimeter 3021”

Happy controlling :dance:

Peter
Last edited by Peter Armstrong on Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Happy controlling/flying :beer:
Valor Morghulis
Valor Dohaeris
Caveat Lector

Peter Armstrong
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

Re: ONE A DAY

Post by Peter Armstrong » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:41 am

.rais The airport is at your $oclock($arr) and $dist($arr) miles, report the field in sight

Ensure that the arrival airport is indeed in the Flight Plan then the $oclock($arr) instructs the programme to determine the clock direction relative to the aircraft and the specified fix (the arrival airport). The $dist($arr) determines the distance between the aircraft and the arrival airport. This can be used as part of a visual approach clearance, and the pilot would receive a message similar to this:-

"The airport is at your 5 o’clock and 6 miles, report the field in sight”

Enjoy :banjo:
Valor Morghulis
Valor Dohaeris
Caveat Lector

Peter Armstrong
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

Post by Peter Armstrong » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:00 am

.vtfc Traffic $1 o'clock, $2 miles, on final runway 16C, at $3, Report in sight

If you inputted the following into the VRC Command Line:-

.vtfc 2 7 4000

The pilot would receive the following message:-

“Traffic 2 o’clock, 7 miles, on final runway 16C, at 4000, Report in sight”

This message precedes the clearance for the visual approach

Happy controlling :lol:
Valor Morghulis
Valor Dohaeris
Caveat Lector

Peter Armstrong
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

Post by Peter Armstrong » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:27 am

KSEA + SAT MANNED IN THE BRAVO

.vfr1 Altimeter $altimeter($dep), departure frequency $callsign on $com1, clrd to operate in the SEA Class Bravo airspace, after departure remain at or below 2500 until clear of the SEA Class Bravo airspace, squawk $squawk, and Charlie (Normal), Runway $1, call for Taxi

The $alt = departure airport altimeter. The $squawk = the squawk assigned to the Aircraft. Departure frequency = $callsign will confirm you are the ATC callsign to call for departure and, the $com1 will also confirm your radio frequency of the same (just in case)! If you are not the departure controller then use $atccallsign (sector ID) and $freq(sector ID).

What you could type into the VRC Command Line could be:

.vfr1 28L (and the pilot will receive a message like this):_

Altimeter 2969, departure frequency SEA_APP on 125.600 , clrd to operate in the SEA Class Bravo airspace, after departure remain at or below 2500 until clear of the SEA Class Bravo airspace, squawk 1501, and Charlie (Normal), Runway 34R, call for Taxi

happy controlling :wink:
Valor Morghulis
Valor Dohaeris
Caveat Lector

Peter Armstrong
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

Post by Peter Armstrong » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:35 am

PTAC
.a130 $dist(Anvil) miles from Anvil , fly HDG 130, maintain 3200 until established on the Localiser, clrd ILS RWY 16C approach

The above Alias is an example of delivering a PTAC. All you have to do is to insert the following into the VRC Command Line:

.a130

And, the following will be received by the pilot: (the mileage will depend on the auto function of this Alias $dist(Anvil))

5 miles from Anvil, fly HDG 130, maintain 3200 until established on the Localiser, clrd ILS RWY 16C approach
The [dot] command I have chosen represents a = Anvil and, 130 is the turn from the base leg onto the localiser – a 30 deg intercept.

Happy controlling :D

ps I normally deliver the "turn Right/Left" instruction first, just to ensure they "turn" in the right direction
Valor Morghulis
Valor Dohaeris
Caveat Lector

Peter Armstrong
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

Post by Peter Armstrong » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:41 am

SOMETHING DIFFERENT (no more ONE A DAY)

I built this [dot]test Alias into my File and then tested it into my Private Chat Box (with a targeted aircraft live): The list will be posted periodically to save space below): Note: the numbers 1 thru 23 preceding the actual Aliases are there for clarity only.

.test 1 $metar(ksea) 2 $altim(ksea) 3 $wind(ksea) 4 $radioname 5 $freq 6 $atccallsign(1W) 7 $time 8 $dist(sea) 9 $bear(sea) 10 $oclock(sea) 11 $squawk 12 $route 13 $arr 14 $dep 15 $cruise 16 $calt 17 $callsign 18 $com1 19 $myrealname 20 $winds 21 $alt 22 $temp 23 $atiscode

1. KSEA 071253Z 10011KT 10SM BKN250 04/M04 A3025 RMK AO2 SLP252 T00441039 $metar(ksea)
2. 3025 $altim(ksea)
3. 100 at 11 $wind(ksea)

To be continued

Happy controlling :tizzy:
Valor Morghulis
Valor Dohaeris
Caveat Lector

Peter Armstrong
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

Post by Peter Armstrong » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:54 am

SOMETHING DIFFERENT (no more ONE A DAY)

I built this [dot]test Alias into my File and then tested it into my Private Chat Box (with a targeted aircraft live): The list will be posted periodically to save space below): Note: the numbers 1 thru 23 preceding the actual Aliases are there for clarity only

4 $radioname(Sector ID) = inserts the radio name (from the POF FIle) for the specified controller List entry. If you do not specify a Sector ID, your radio name will be inserted. Does not always work!
5 $freq(Sector ID) = Ditto - for frequency - does not always work
6 $atccallsign(Sector ID) = Ditto
7 $time = Inserts the current Zulu time (and this works!)
8 $dist(sea) = this did give the distance to SEA
9 $bear(sea) = This did give the bearing to SEA
SEA being the fix inserted ($dist(fix) and $bear(fix)

happy controlling :lol:
Valor Morghulis
Valor Dohaeris
Caveat Lector

Peter Armstrong
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

Post by Peter Armstrong » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:20 am

I built this [dot]test Alias into my File and then tested it into my Private Chat Box (with a targeted aircraft live): The list will be posted periodically to save space below): Note: the numbers 1 thru 23 preceding the actual Aliases are there for clarity only

10 $oclock(sea)
11 $squawk
12 $route
13 $arr
14 $dep

$oclock(sea) = Inserts the clock direction relative to the aircraft to the specified fix - in this case, SEA. Generally used in visual clearances.
$squawk = a common Alias. You should pre-assign a squawk code or, if you want the current aircraft sqk code to be inserted then do not asign one.
$route = Inserts the aircratfs full route (as in the Flight Plan)
$arr = Inserts the aircrafts destination airport
$dep = Inserts the aircrafts departure airport

Happy controlling :D
Valor Morghulis
Valor Dohaeris
Caveat Lector

Peter Armstrong
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

Post by Peter Armstrong » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:34 am

15 $cruise= inserts the A/C filed altitude
16 $calt = inserts A/C current altitude
17 $callsign = inserts your callsign
18 $com1 = inserts your primary frequency
19 $myrealname = inserts your full name (your VRC connection)
20 $winds = inserts the wind (departure airport if on the ground)
(destination airport if airborne)
21 $alt = inserts assigned temp altitude (otherwise, filed cruise altitude)
22 $temp = inserts assigned temporary altitude)
23 $atiscode = inserts current ATISMaker code

How and where (examples) to use the above Aliases will be displayed in later posts

Happy controlling :shock:
Valor Morghulis
Valor Dohaeris
Caveat Lector

Peter Armstrong
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

Post by Peter Armstrong » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:57 am

JOINING AIRWAYS (ALIAS)

Joining an airway on departure – utilising THE FIRST WAYPOINT/ INTERSECTION (INT) on that airway is the key to these aliases. Example:-

KSEA - J70 = This airway departs both N/E and S/W so, lets take the N/E route and we find NORMY is the INT on this airway. Our alias could look like this:-

.j70ne Cleared to $arr airport via the Seattle6 departure radar vectors Normy to join J70, then as filed, fly rwy hdg, maintain 9000, expect $cruise 10 mins after departure, departure frequency 125.600. squawk $squawk

Now, use that typical alias and formulate a similar for every airway departing KSEA (they actually depart SEA VOR)

Time spent on building your alias will reward you time and time again when having to manage text only pilots. The most awkward and time consuming event when controlling is when you find that you have to type - using only two fingers if you are a poor typist like me - the full instruction to a pilot who is waiting, and waiting.........and waiting to receive it - Oh dear! they have landed already !!!!!

http://vfrmap.com/?type=vfrc&lat=47.450 ... 12&zoom=10

The above link will come in handy (from the VFR section, select the High and Low airways sections)

Happy controlling :teach:
Valor Morghulis
Valor Dohaeris
Caveat Lector