Ask questions of the training staff and fellow controllers. Also training FAQs

Moderator: ZSE Administrative Staff

Peter Armstrong
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

INTERESTING SUBJECTS

Post by Peter Armstrong » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:03 am

INTERESTING SUBJECTS

1. Is there a procedure with respect to taxying whereupon a “backtrack” instruction is delivered?
Example being:- at KRNT. If an A/C is parked at North East Hanger and requires to proceed to RWY 16 for departure. Would the instruction be something like this?

Rwy 16, taxi via Bravo, enter RWY 16 at B3 then backtrack, hold at threshold RWY 16, altimeter xxxx

Of course, the local controller needs to be contacted for this procedure.

Assuming this is IFR traffic and not an A/C that can be departed via an intersection.
Happy controlling/flying :beer:
Valor Morghulis
Valor Dohaeris
Caveat Lector

Frank Miller
ZSE Training Administrator

Re: INTERESTING SUBJECTS

Post by Frank Miller » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:13 am

I'm not aware of any procedure apart from local practice and traffic requirements on the airport at the time.

Seems to me nothing wrong with your taxi instruction as it is clear enough. Personally, I'd cross them at B4/A4 or B3/A3 and get them to the departure end of rwy 16 via A instead of giving them a long taxi on a runway, particularly as there is only one!

One note: The phrase back-taxi is only mentioned in 7110.65 in the glossary and refers to an instruction to taxi on a runway in the opposite direction of traffic flow. (Back track is the same term in the UK, see CAP 413). There are no official examples I've found on phraseology for the term back-taxi, however. In RW, I generally hear taxi instructions using the runways to just state the runway you are to join and taxi on! Only time I've ever heard back-taxi is when I'd landed long and missed the turnoff for the ramp, so the ground controller told me "back-taxi runway 27R, vacate on Mike".

Frank

Peter Armstrong
ZSE Controller
ZSE Controller

Post by Peter Armstrong » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:31 am

BACK-TAXI− A term used by air traffic controllers
to taxi an aircraft on the runway opposite to the traffic
flow. The aircraft may be instructed to back-taxi to
the beginning of the runway or at some point before
reaching the runway end for the purpose of departure
or to exit the runway.

back-taxi is when I'd landed long and missed the turnoff for the ramp, so the ground controller told me "back-taxi runway 27R, vacate on Mike".

Sounds good but, if you have not yet left the RWY, should not the TWR Controller be instructing travel along an active RWY?
I never release traffic until they have exited the RWY.

Peter
Happy controlling/flying :beer:
Valor Morghulis
Valor Dohaeris
Caveat Lector

Frank Miller

Post by Frank Miller » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:41 am

It was a while ago, Peter, so maybe I've misrecollected which controller gave me the instruction. It happened when there was a P-51 doing overhead breaks at the airport, so everyone was quite distracted by that! They also had a B-17 (Nine 'O Nine) and a B-25 (Witchcraft) on the ramp giving tours and flights. I don't think anyone was really that interested in a Cherokee landing long that day, least of all me!

Interesting other admission I'll make about my flight that day. I had made a mistake in how I cancelled my VFR flight plan when I landed at the airport, and having spent an extra 90 minutes looking at the warbirds, when I finally did get ready to depart again the ground controller informed me that my tail number was in "Search & Rescue" status and I had to make a sheepish call to Flight Service to straighten things out. Live and learn!

Frank